中文里有说屋漏偏逢连夜雨,实际上泛指所有倒霉的遭遇接踵而来,那么英文里也有很多跟天气有关的词汇,组成俚语后,却有着不同的含义。
1 On cloud nine 九霄云上(形容高兴)
She has been on cloud nine since the magazine printed her photos.
自从那份杂志发表了她的照片后,她高兴得不得了。
2 fair-weather friend 酒肉朋友
I'm a bit disappointed in Jack. It turned out that he was only a fair-weather friend.
我对Jack有点失望,原来他是个酒肉朋友而已
3 Get wind 听到风声(消息)
How did you get wind of that terrific business deal ?
你是怎么打听到那笔好生意的?
4 Not so hot 不怎么好,一般般
How are you today?
Not so hot, I am going to stay in bed and have a rest.
今天感觉如何?
不怎么样,我打算躺着歇一会
5 Chase the rainbow 做白日梦
Get down to your business! Stop chasing the rainbow.
做你自己的事儿吧,别白日做梦了
6 It never rains but it pours 祸不单行
First my car broke down, and then I lost my key. It never rains but it pours.
一开始我的车抛锚了,接着钥匙还丢了,真是祸不单行啊